The Bahamas Premier Institution for MMA, Judo, Jiujitsu, Karate, Kickboxing, and Self-Defense

HOME OF 2010 YOUTH OLYMPIAN - CYNTHIA RAHMING

email: allstarbahamas@gmail.com * All- Star Family Centre - Joe Farrington Rd * 242-364-6773

Friday, October 8, 2010

How to Develop Mental Toughness - Part 2

I once saw my Judo teacher cry....


It was during the time he was talking about an experience

he had in World War II. He was telling me about how he

lost a lot of friends to a Japanese sniper who displayed

incredible toughness by taking on impossible odds...


They threw everything they had at this guy until....well you

know what happens during a war.


The mental toughness of this unknown enemy soldier was

one of the reasons my teacher went to Japan to learn martial

arts and therefore in some strange way I owe the knowledge

of martial arts transferred from my teacher to his unknown enemy.


My teacher taught thousands of people and so have I. Mental

toughness is indeed contagious.


====

Tip #2

Mental Toughness can only be developed through troubled times.

Click here for a schedule of my classes

====


Many people crumble at the first sign of trouble. That's why society

is falling apart. If it is not easy, most people simply quit and move on to

the next thing.


Parents condone this behavior by making constant excuses for their

children. They want the child's life to be pain free. Unfortunately without

a struggle there can be no growth.


In my martial art classes I create a safe form of "trouble" to allow the kids

to learn how to become mentally tough. I often have kids spar with kids

just a little larger or more experienced than them as part of the training.

The larger kid is always told not to hurt the smaller one, but not to allow

him to win.


Sometimes the smaller kid will cry in frustration.


I never stop the action unless there is a physical injury. And physical

injuries are VERY VERY rare. But emotional frustration is common.

I let the kid fight through the tears. After a while the kid stops crying

and continues to spar because he has to. Quitting is not an option.


Usually he feels accomplished afterward because he didn’t quit. The

student leaves class on a high because he knows he is tougher than

when he entered.


My hope is that when he encounters a problem in his job or marriage

or church life that he won't quit because he knows it will not kill him

and that the goal is worth the struggle.


Click here for a schedule of my classes



All the best to you.


Sensei D’Arcy Rahming

9th degree Black Belt

Internationally renowned Author

www.mmabahamas.com


p.s. October is a great month to start classes.

click here for a schedule of my classes


No comments:

Post a Comment